Saturday, January 12, 2008

Superman Returns in Messiah Form

"You will be different. Sometimes, you'll feel like an outcast, but you will never be alone. You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes as your life will be seen through mine. A son becomes the Father, and the Father becomes the son."

- Superman

I watched Superman Returns today, and until today I never had thought that Superman and Jesus had anything in common. But now I am aware. These words were the words to Superman from his Father that he later gave to his son. It was as if I was listening to the voice of Jesus as Superman spoke these words. When I heard this, a picture came into my mind of God sending Jesus to come down to earth and live amongst the broken, fully being human, and fully being God. I saw a picture of the Father speaking these words to his son, Jesus. Read the quote in that context. Then I heard Jesus speak them to me. As I heard this charge I became proud. The significance in this for me was sonship. Today I have clearly seen myself as a son of God.

In Ephesians 1:4-6, it says, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love, he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."

Today I rejoice in this. I will be different. Although I feel like an outcast, I will never be alone. I will make the Fathers strength my own. In our unity I will become more like him. And I will be with him in the "Fortress of Solitude" in my mind, and in my heart. I will meet him there.

This is what it meant for me. For references, watch the movie.

1 comment:

Susan said...

yay! that was really good to read! :)