Saturday, April 5, 2008

"When the Roots Become the Fruits"

"Wake up, O sleeper
Rise from the dead
Christ will shine on you."

God spoke to me. He used a dandelion to do it. I was walking through Carroll Park in Long Beach. I was praying and singing over the neighborhood there. I feel as if God has given me a song for this neighborhood. The prayer (song) above is what kept repeating itself over and over again in my head. It was a strange feeling. Almost as if God was saying it through my heart. As if God was using my heart as his own. As I was singing this over the neighborhood, another scripture came to me from Isaiah that says:

9:2
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you,
as people rejoice at the harvest,
as men rejoice when dividing the plunder.
For as the day of Midian's defeat,
you have shattered the yoke that burdens them,
the bar across their shoulders,
the rod of their oppressor.
Every warrior's boot used in battle,
and every garment rolled in blood,
will be destined for burning,
will be fuel for the fire.
For unto us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called,
WONDERFUL
COUNCELOR
MIGHTY GOD
EVERLASTING FATHER
PRINCE OF PEACE.
Of the increase of his government and peace,
there will be no end.
He will reign on Davids throne and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness,
from that time on and forever.

The ZEAL of the LORD ALMIGHTY will accomplish this.


So I picked up a dandelion and saw myself in it. I saw myself as a seed-bearing and dispersing creation. A creation that spreads seeds that birth new fruitful creations that spread seed. So I blew on it. I blew on the dandelion and watched the seeds parachute to the ground, blown about by the wind. But there really was nothing for the miniscule created creators to land on. There was really nothing for my little paratrooper embryo's to dig their roots into. The ground was dry. So dry it looked as if wherever you stepped turned to dust. This made me sad (in seeing my relation to the dandelion) to see that there was no way that I could make those seeds grow. I could not make them dig their roots deep into the ground and search out the nutritious, life-giving soil. So I realized that even my own seed-sowing heart doesn't have the capacity to make things grow, showing me that I am created in a way that demands a reliance on the "Great One."

Later that night it rained. It rained a lot, and the second it started raining my spirit inside of me welled up with joy. It seemed as if I could feel the soil soften. It seemed as if I could feel the seeds stretch, and grow, and dig firmly into the ground. It felt for a moment as if the Great One was completing the promise that he had made to me. I rejoiced in knowing and seeing that the Great One is about his kingdom that is talked about in the Isaiah passage. Let this be an encouragement to us all. Be faithful to plant the seeds that God has placed in you through the life of the Spirit. His words and truth do not end up void. May you live and move in the ZEAL of the Lord Almighty.

"When the roots become the fruits." - E. Trine
"Great One" - A. Totten

No comments: